It’s been a long time that I wanted to cook this dish, but every time I put my cabbage leaves in the refrigerator, when my companions are cleaning the fridge, they always throw it because they’re thinking it’s a trash hahahahahahahahaha. This is called Sarma in Turkey, although they have different ways of cooking it, but the process of wrapping the meat with cabbage is the same. Most people think this is the same with another dish in Turkey which they called dolma, because the process is almost the same but, we should not be confused because in dolmas, grapefruit leaves are used in wrappng the ground meat and sarma used cabbage. I am glad that I was able to cooked this and I am excited to share it with all of you. This is a good treat for your loved ones.
1/4 kilo ground beef or pork
2 tablespoons flour
1 beaten egg
1 med. size potato ( minced)
1 small carrot (minced)
1 onion ( half minced, half strips)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1. First we need to blanch ( banlian in Tagalog) the cabbage leaves and set it aside.
2. In a bowl mix the meat, minced onion, carrot, potato, egg, flour, salt and pepper. Mix it well.
3. Wrap it using the blanched cabbage leaf, as shown in the picture.
4. After wrapping all the meat, put the onion strips and black pepper in a pan where you are going to cook the cabbage rolls.
5. Arrange the rolled cabbage properly, put the tomato sauce, and the water.
6. Cover and let it boil , when it is boiling lower the heat to cook it slowly without drying the soup.
7. Serve it hot and garnish with ring onions.